Sunday, November 05, 2006

High Altitude Chiffon Cake

I love chiffon cakes. Any kind, any flavor(almost any). It's light, airy, and 'healthy' without butter, and is an excellent base for real buttercream frostings!
I have had several requests for the recipe to my last chiffon cake, and this guy from Hub's work tried to 'boost' it. So, I have decided to share it here. Had received this from a friend in Castle Rock, Colorado a while ago, and she had received it from a friend in the town of Taos, New Mexico. Though it's been wonderful to have this recipe, it's time to pass it on. Thanks A, for giving me this recipe. This is for you JPat, SY and JC. Enjoy!

Ingredient:
2 1/2 c cake flour, sifted
1 1/2 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 c canola cooking oil
4 egg yolks
3/4 c cold water
1 tsp vanilla
6 xlg egg whites, beaten with 1/2 tsp cream of tartar to stiff peaks.


Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Add the next four ingredients and mix on low speed. Fold in egg whites. Pour into 2 lined and greased 8 inch cake pans. Baked for 30 mins or until done.

Note: this is a basic, plain chiffon cake recipe for making layered, frosted cakes. Great with your favorite buttercream frosting. I welcome any feedback or suggestions!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, did you use the 8"x3" deep cake pans? - JC

East Meets West Kitchen said...

JC, Yes, I did!