Monday, January 29, 2007

Balinese Satay

It has been years since I visited Bali, and I vividly remember the soft, silky sand between my toes, the local women offering massages, trinkets, and hair-braiding right on the beach of Nusa Dua, and all those delectable local dishes. So when I chance upon a balinese satay recipe on an indonesian website, I had to try it. The difference in the meat ingredient was interesting. I like the use of ground beef and I think it absorbs the flavors of the spices like cumin and corriander in the marinade faster, especially when I cooked it immediately after mixing everything together. Wrapping it around the lemongrass and the addition of lime zest and juice also gave it an added citrusy tastiness, besides the authentic appeal of it. Because of the snow, I broiled it instead of grilling outside in the freezing cold, and it came out very well. H enjoyed it very much, and I know this recipe is a keeper.

Recipe:
Ground beef
dessicated coconut
minced garlic
chopped shallots
ginger
shrimp paste (substituted with fish sauce)
lime juice
chili pepper
brown sugar
corriander
galanga
orange juice
lemongrass to use as satay sticks

Wash and remove the outer stalks of each lemongrass. In food processor, mix garlic and the next 9 ingredients. Add to beef and coconut. Form around the lemongrass. Barbecue until done.

2 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

I can see he really loves his satay! :)

East Meets West Kitchen said...

little corner of mine,
yeah, he's the satay king! LOL!