Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Mango coconut sticky rice

It is difficult to out to a Thai restaurant and save room for dessert, for me at least. However, the last time we went to our favorite neighborhood restaurant, I ordered the tom yang soup and the grilled beef salad, and saved room for one of the many desserts to share with H, the Mango sticky rice. I have also tasted the coconut sticky rice dessert from northeastern Thailand, and loved the combination of coconut milk flavored chewy glutinous rice. So I decided to combine these two desserts and came up with Mango coconut sticky rice! Not for the faint of carbs, for sure!

1 cup glutinous rice, washed and soaked overnight
1 cup coconut milk
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1 mango, sliced or cubed

Steam glutinous rice for 15-20 mins until cooked. In a small pot, heat coconut milk with sugar and salt till warm. Do not boil or coconut milk will curdle. Add coconut milk mixture onto cooked rice and stir till blended. Dish onto individual plates with mango pieces and serve.

1 comment:

My FoodPrints said...

I remember the Mango Sticky Rice dessert I had at a Thai restaurant was without any coconut milk, nothing special about the dessert. Perhaps by adding coconut milk makes the dessert taste better?

I have a Sticky Rice with Mango dessert recipe. The ingredients include glutinous rice, gula melaka, coconut cream, mangoes and strawberries. The photo looks great and I have been dying to try that out, but being a great procrastinator, I don't know when I will act on it. :p