Friday, January 19, 2007

Miso Chicken Bake

It is not easy to feed a family when one is not in the best of health. I remembered a friend who's a mom of three told me once that if she can get out of bed, that would be a good day. I thoroughly understand what she meant when I was struggling to get out of bed this morning! Resisting the urge to order a pizza or take out, I made an old standby for tonight's dinner. I saw it in a health magazine some time ago, and have been making it since. Recipe was created by chef Tom Berry. It's an easy chicken recipe for the weeknight, and the white miso paste can be subsituted with brown/yellow miso paste in a pinch. I usually broil it for 3 to 5 mins at the end to get a nice color on the chicken breast. The combined flavors of the miso paste, sugar, chicken broth and minced ginger gave this dish a unique taste, and I sometimes add a dash of cayenne pepper or chilli paste to give this dish an extra kick for the adults portion.

1/2 cup white miso paste
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup chicken broth
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp minced ginger
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

In a bowl, combine miso, sugar, broth, oil, and ginger. Add chicken; coat, cover and refrigerate 1 hour. Heat oven to 375°. Place chicken on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Fold up edges of foil. Pour marinade over chicken. Bake 20 minutes or until cooked through.

No comments: