Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Cranberry Pork Chops

Ever have one of those days that you crave for carbs for no reason. Thank god the Atkins craze is over (for most people, at least), cause I don't think I can't imagine life without sweet potatoes, french fries, or rice pilaf. LOL! Okay, so I was craving for mashed potatoes today. Not only that, but I spend the whole day thinking of what I would like with my garlic mashed potatoes. Oh yeah, I narrowed down on the type of mashed potatoes in the first hour. I guess it all started last night when I was going into the cold garage and saw a bag of yukon potatoes that I had forgotten about in the midst of all the lunar new year celebration. The frugal side of me insisted that I use up those potatoes asap, hence the unintentional thoughts of potatoes most of the night.

Oh, but I couldn't just have potatoes for the family. So, the next step I took was to look into the fridge to decide on what proteins to cook. There were chicken breasts, beef sirloin and pork chops. And there cranberries and ingredients for a salad. After deciding on pork chops, that became the menu for the evening. And I thoroughly enjoyed my garlic mashed potatoes while the family feast on the chops. Doubled this recipe from Bon Appétit.

1 tablespoon butter
2 5- to 6-ounce boneless pork chops
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup cranberry sauce (sub with dried cranberries and home-made broth)
3 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme


Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Sauté pork until brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer pork to plate. Add wine to same skillet. Bring to simmer, scraping up browned bits in bottom of pan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Return pork and any juices to skillet. Cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Transfer pork to plates. Spoon sauce over and serve.

Recipe from Bon Appétit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love cranraisins, and that looks like a good recipe to try.