Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Green Tea Ice Cream

I have had a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker sitting in a box in the basement for two years, and I finally broke it out of it's box after chatting with C. on matcha last week. Since I have some of the ground green tea leaves in the pantry, I decided to make my favorite dessert at sushi restaurants. It was quite easy, and I should have used my ice-cream maker long ago! Now I look forward to mango ice-cream...

Green Tea Ice Cream adapted from Gourmet
1 c whole milk
2 c heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt
6 eggs
2/3 c sugar
3 tbs matcha (powdered Japanese green tea)
Ice Cream Maker

Add the first 3 ingredients into a 4-quart pot and heat till boiling. Remove from heat. Whisk the eggs, sugar and matcha together, then add to cream mixture. Put pot back on stove over medium-low heat, and whisk till instant thermometer reaches 170F. Do not boil mixture. Cool till room temperature, and chill in fridge for 1 hour. Freeze it in ice-cream maker, then store in air-tight container in freezer. Keeps up to 1 week.

2 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

How you like the green tea ice-cream?

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Hi C,
It was pretty good, and all gone now. Now I'm trying other flavors.:)