Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Scallop and Asparagus Soup

What a day! The weather went from sunny 80s over Memorial weekend to 60s today with hail, rain, flooding and tornados all within the state. We were fortunate that we only had the rain and pea-size hail. With the change of weather, I thought it would be nice to make a hot, rich soup with dinner.

I found this recipe in Annabel Jackson's Street Cafe Vietnam cookbook, and decided to make it with the ingredients I have in the fridge. This is my version of Sup Mang Tay Cua which is a vietnamese soup that has a french influence with the addition of asparagus in the ingredients. I made it with scallops, crabmeat, corn, asparagus, shitaki mushrooms, chopped coriander, and thickened with a beaten egg. It's traditionally served with quail's eggs which I omitted. Turned out delicious and reminded me of a very good egg drop soup with lots more ingredients. I think that was the reason the kids enjoyed it too.

2 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks good!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Thanks C! It was great for a cold day.