Friday, May 04, 2007

Sweet Peanut Soup Dessert

Had some packets of raw peanuts in the pantry, and decided to make two peanut desserts that is sometimes also known as sweet peanut soup. One uses blanched peanuts and is the peanut dessert found in Taiwan that is usually served with do-hwa, and the other one is a creamy peanut dessert that is more of the cantonese style also known as fa-sung-woo. Both are easy recipes and use minimal ingredients.
The first peanut dessert uses 2 cups of blanched peanuts. Place peanuts in a pressure cooker with 6-7 cups water for about 30-40 mins, depending on your pressure cooker. My chuncky, electric Nutritionist by Russell Hobbs pressure cooker cooked it with 6 cups of water for 30 mins, whereas the recipe indicated 7 cups for 40 mins. The peanuts will be a soft melt-in-the-mouth texture. Add 2/3 cup sugar to the peanut mixture and heat till sugar is melted. Serve hot or chilled. May also serve it taiwanese style with to-fu-fa (extra soft bean curd) as shown below.
The second dessert is shown below, and uses roasted peanuts. I toasted the raw peanuts in a toaster oven till golden brown. Grind the roasted peanuts in a blender or a food processor till fine with a cup of water. Pour into a saucepan with sugar and additional water till it the sugar melts. Add in 1 Tbs of cornstarch mixed 1 Tbs of water to the peanut mixture if desired to thicken it. It should be the consistency of a thick, creamy soup. Serve hot or at room temperature. This is the kind of peanut dessert I grew up enjoying, and it is similar to a warm, creamy peanut butter texture. Which explains why I love to eat peanut butter by the spoonful once in awhile!

9 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

I like the creamy peanut dessert soup. Had it as free dessert from one of the Chinese restaurants in Denver. Good leh!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks yummy and the house was filled with fragrance for the last couple weeks. Thanks! LB

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Hi C,
Did you have it at JJ's?

LB, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi

Great blog! I've been looking for a recipe to make the peanut dessert (the plain white one) that goes well with ah-balling. And finally, I've found it in your blog. I'm in Utah, so am very deprived sometimes of the good ol' S'porean eats that I used to take for granted. I would like to ask -- what type of raw peanuts do you use to make this peanut soup? The regular ones (with shells) at the ang-moh supermarkets, or are those the Chinese type that's available in the Asian markets?
Thank you so much in advance :)

Natasha

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Hi Natasha,
Thanks for dropping by. The peanuts that I used were from the asian market, and it's raw peanuts without the shell. I'll post a pic of it for you.

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Natasaha,
Oops! Did I type raw? I meant blanched.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Thank you so much for the pic. Will look out for them the next time I visit the asian market.

Natasha

East Meets West Kitchen said...

You're most welcome Natasha!

Noelle said...

I have been looking for a recipe for the creamy peanut dessert soup for years! It used to be the only thing I'd order from our nearby Cantonese restaurant in North Vancouver when I was feeling under the weather. It had such a comforting flavour and heavenly texture. Thanks!!

Check out my own blog about being a foodie and a mom: www.amazoninthekitchen.ca