Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Fruit Pizza

Something about pizzas always seem to get the kids attention. And some adults in this family included. My kids have this notion that "daddy goes to work so that he can bring pizza home." Don't know where they got it from, but every Monday when they wake up and realize that their dad has gone to work, it's always the same comment from them. So, I thought what better way to get them to consume more fruits that a fruit pizza. Mind you, I didn't come up with this concept. Saw it in one of the betty crocker recipes and decided to make this for the kids. There's another recipe from Krafts that has a sugar cookie base and Cool Whip on the fruit pizza which sounded interesting, but I didn't think my kids needed any extra sugar. This recipe is easy, fun, and gets them to eat more fruits this way.

Fruit Pizza adapted from Betty Crocker

1 wholewheat tortilla (the size for burritos that's 8 inches in diameter)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons soft cream cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh fruit, (such as strawberries, blueberries, grapes, peaches), well drained


1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place tortilla on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until crisp. Meanwhile, mix sugar and cinnamon.
2. Place hot tortilla on cutting board; spread cream cheese on tortilla. Sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mixture. Arrange fruit on top. Cut into 4 wedges. Serve warm.

3 comments:

Lee Ping said...

Colorful, nutritious snack for kids (as well as adults). It is easy to prepare as well. I can see my kids arranging the fruits to make art.

WokandSpoon said...

Hello! I got here from Melting Wok's blog. Fruit pizza! That's a great idea to make kids eat more fruit. I'll have to remember that for when (if ever) I have kids!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Hi Lee Ping,
Yes, it's fun to get the kids (and adults) into the kitchen with this recipe, and makes an easy snack or dessert.

Hi Wokandspoon,
Thanks for visiting my blog. :)