Thursday, July 12, 2007

Oh Sweet Potatoe Pie!

It's been raining in the evenings which cools down the summer nights nicely to the low 70's, and gave me perfect opportunity to heat up my oven without creating a sauna in the kitchen.
One of the many desserts that warms my soul is a nice piece of pie. And among my many favorites is the sweet potatoe pie. This is a new recipe I tried from the legendary Oprah and it was very good. I had attacked the pie with the kids for lunch, and when dinner came, Hubs who is not a sweet potatoe fan, tried it without asking what kind of pie, and thought it was a pumpkin pie. Of course I didn't correct him. Let the sweet man enjoy his pie, I say!
Sweet Potatoe Pie
Topping

1 egg
3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
1 cup chopped pecans

Pie:
1 lb (2 medium) sweet potatoes, baked, peeled and kept warm
1/4 cup organic butter
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp grated orange zest
1 tsp vanilla extract (used dark rum)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 organic eggs
1 (9-inch) unbaked pastry shell (I used a graham cracker crust)
Cinnamon cream:
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons sugar

To make topping:In a small mixing bowl, combine egg, corn syrup, light brown sugar, margarine and maple flavoring; mix well. Stir in pecans and set aside. To make pie:Preheat oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, beat warm sweet potatoes with margarine until smooth. Add condensed milk, orange zest, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and eggs; mix well. Pour into pastry shell. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven; spoon topping evenly over pie. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Cool. Serve warm or chilled. To make cinnamon cream:In a medium-size bowl over ice, whisk heavy cream. Add cinnamon and sugar, and whisk to medium-stiff peaks. Serve alongside pie.

Recipe adapted from an old Oprah's magazine.

Notes: I served it chilled. One of the recipes that I'll tweak again. Will use a deeper pie pan next time with pastry crust. The graham cracker crust makes the pie lighter though, the filling was just sweet enough, and the cinnamon whipped cream was perfect with the pie. One of the kids would dunk her piece of potatoe pie into the whipped cream before she eats it. Wonder where she learned that from? [insert laugh!]

8 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks good. That topping is new to me, looks crispy! I prefer sweet potato pie over pumpkin pie. Will make it once a year either during Thanksgiving or Christmas. (only once a year, pitiful right? LOL!)

WokandSpoon said...

Oh wow! I loooovvveeee sweet potato as you might have already noticed ;-) This is definitely a recipe that I have to try! I love the topping - it looks crunchy!

Anonymous said...

hmmm...Never eaten a sweet potato pie before ... got to try it one day. :)

Btw: I have tagged you in my blog ;)

Anonymous said...

My kids love pumpkin but I am not sure if they will take a liking to this.
If pumpkin is in season, I might give it a try. I've not tasted pumpkin pie myself.

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Hey C!
Fall and winter are the perfect times for baking pies so try this recipe next time, ya?

Hi Wokandspoon!
From one sweet potatoe fan to another, this is pretty good, and the topping does gives it some texture.

Thanks Cooking Ninja, did I miss the memo about tagging/meme season?

Hi Judy,
I love both pumpkin and sweet potatoe pies (among many others), and both are popular here. The sweet potatoes and the spices in this recipe were so good even my neighbor thought it was pumpkin when she tried it too.

annie said...

I've always wanted to try this, we have a few cool days here, AND I need to make several desserts for a party next week. This is perfect. I've never actually had Sweet Potato Pie, but if its good enough for Oprah....

Little Corner of Mine said...

Quote, "Thanks Cooking Ninja, did I miss the memo about tagging/meme season?"

LOL!!! ROFLMAO!!!

isabella said...

kiddy version of cookies and cream (oreo) split, lick and dunk into milk....lol